Thursday 7 August 2008

Steve and Barbara sail in!


Living in a popular sailing centre does bring me in contact with many and varied people, but I never cease to be amazed of what a small world we live in. I regularly meet people who know old colleagues or friends of mine, and sometimes they actually sail in themselves! It was a real delight then to get an email from Steve and Barbara, friends from many years ago when Steve and I served together in a Royal Navy Volunteer Band. They had sailed into the Dart while I was walkng along the cliffs to Brixham. In fact, the lone yacht that I saw beating in a stiff westerly turned out to be them - intrepid voyageurs! Steve and Barbara were able to visit our 'house with a view' and then return the hospitality in the evening when Lynn and I were able to visit them on their Fisher 34 'Wight Mistress'. I was yacht taxiing, but had a quiet hour or so that enabled me to enjoy a coffee with them. They live on board their yacht but have had an exciting year in the Pacific Ocean where they have skippered and run a large catamaran for a yachting company. It was great to see them.

No comments: